Gadget under header picture

We are off to Newfoundland so tag-along with us.

What a Wonderful World!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh my gosh!  What a beautiful world we live in.  I had the most amazing hike today which I almost didn't do. Today was going to be a down day, lazed around drinking coffee and knitting this morning.  Beautiful day, sunny, 19 degrees. Did some laundry, went into town to get some postcards and then had a nap.  When I woke up at 3:30 I decided to go for one last hike in this beautiful National Park.  The 8 km hike (4 in and 4 out) to the base of Gros Morne was not far from our camp.   When we first got to the park, I thought I would like to try the hike up to the top of Gros Morne an 8 hour hike (or so they say), 16 kms.  When we checked with the visitor centre we found out only the first 4 kms were open as the tourngans were nesting at the top, and the trail was closed.  Good thing, I would have needed to take my jammies with me.  The 4 kms I did hike took me to the base of Gros Morne mountain, and that took me an hour and half.  My heart rate went up in the first 200 meters and stayed up for the rest of the way.  

OMG, it was up hill most of the way, over rocks and boulders, up stairs, and over bridges and boardwalks. I must have been a mountain goat in a previous life!
 My reward at the end was worth every droplet of sweat that poured out of me.  I was so proud of myself that I was able to do this, when I think back to where I was a year and half ago, I've come a long way.  And this hike alone was worth it.  Unfortunately the pictures just do not do justice.  The terrain on this hike was so different than any of the other hikes I've done.  Again, so many telltale signs of moose.  The trail was much windier, and I was certain I would be staring into the eyes of a moose as I timidly peaked around each corner.  But thank goodness the only furry thing I saw was this cute little squirrel.

I know I put it in here somewhere?
At one point there were fresh, muddy moose tracks on the boardwalk, so I knew I just missed one. Whew! When I finally climbed my way to the top 
I made it!!!!
it was like a different world up there. The temperature had dropped at least 10 degrees, and it was unbelievably windy.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if I could have hiked to the top.  
Snow capped Tablelands in the distance












The view was fantastic. I could see the tablelands, Norris Point and Woody Point, the little villages we had been at yesterday, Rocky Harbour, the town we are camping in, and the ocean, off in the distance.



Gros Morne
You would hike up this valley to the top



I took some time to savour the moment before I headed back down.  I found it was tougher going down You wanted to make sure that when you were stepping down the rocks you were stepping on were stable.  Sure did give the old knees a workout. I'll definitely be taking some Aleve tonight.  Once I got down closer to the bottom I could here the rushing of the waterfall, the birds were just a singing and the view was amazing.  I took a few minutes to rest, and thank God for this beautiful world we live in, and for giving me the opportunity to enjoy it.  I am truly blessed!



Tiny purple pine cones











Don't Be a Stranger!

1 comment:

Shantzholm Pumpkins said...

Beautiful & blessed, once again!